Saturday, August 4, 2012

kumihimo work

Wow, I have almost forgot how to do this. Have a little patience with me and I will update my blog with a new look. Here goes for now. 
Out of sheer frustration, I am starting to blog again. I  need an outlet for my ramblings about my kumihimo creations.  Let me digress and bring you up to date.
After my breast cancer in 2010 and my chemotherapy in 2011, I was frustrated with my need to keep my hands busy. I had been making braided wool rugs for years, but dog-gone-it, those huge rugs were hard to haul around with me for all the chemo days. So I searched and searched and found kumihimo, a Japanese braiding system, that could be used to make jewelry. So I started to learn. The first book I bought on kumihimo was a beautiful book with stunning photos, but when I got it home and really sat down to study the book, it was all in Japanese. The book went back and my search continued.


Now, a year and half later, I think I have moved from the novas state to the in-between state. I have no innate artist struggling to get out. I have terrible hand eye coordination. My color sense is nonexistent. But, I have searched out photos, books, instructions and such. I have studied what women wore as jewelry. I took note of my cloths and what I felt comfortable with. Let it be noted here and now that I don’t wear what I create. I just don’t do necklaces, never really have. But, working the kumihimo braids has turned out to be very therapeutic for me.  No, really. When I need to relax and unwind from the day, I have the kumi disk in my hand and I am there. Now, after a year and a half, I can do the braid in my sleep, my hands just move with the rhythm and I zone. I love it.
There is a problem with this whole set up. I make a necklace a day. Then what do I do with the thing? When I was learning and not quite sure of myself, I gave the products of my work away to anyone who would take it. I asked my neighbors, friends and family their opinions on what I created. If they liked it or liked something in my stash, it was theirs. Without their help and creative suggestions, I would never have continued.  Now when I see them wearing those necklace’s, I want to yank it off and redo them. But no one will let me.
I am not being humble or wanting praises. I really have no talent. Thankfully, kumi braiding is very forgiving. I don’t sit down and draw it out and have it all thought out. I set up the colors I chose and start braiding. If it looks good in the end, I keep it. If not, I take it apart and try something else.
With all of that background, today I am ready to start selling my love. Again, I am no business women, but if I want to be able to keep braiding the necklaces, I need to move the things out and get money back in to keep getting more beads and findings. Whenever I think about selling, having people pay me for my work, I start to shake and get all nervous and sweaty. Sorry for that picture. But, I really need this to work so I can keep going on with my relaxation therapy.
Take today for instance. I have had this soft whisper variegated yarn. It has been staring at me for weeks. Today I got out one of my books that had information about variegated work, and off I went.
The yarn is a fun pink to green with brown and white in it. I set it up with 3 long pieces of the pattern. I added a 4th string of pink c-lon cord, and added pink beads to it. No idea how it will turn out. But I hurt badly and needed something to do as I let the medication work, so my hands are working the braid. I got about 8 inches done and went to show Reese. He is my husband and a wonderful supporter. But he is like me, no artist cell in his body. So he said what he always says, “It looks nice, honey.”  Here I am telling you all about it, so someone out there may understand my drive to do the work and have it stunning in the end. Ok, I will settle for nice, but I no longer settle of ok. The necklace has to meet some standard of niceness or I take it apart. 
The photos are of my experiment for today. I will show you the complete project tomorrow. 

No comments:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, strawberries in the other, body throughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Woo Hoo - What a ride!