Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Saying goodbye Wyatt's way

Yesterday was to be a normal day at school and today was to be the check out day. Well, leave it to Wyatt to need a special exit. Yesterday, instead of eating lunch, he was playing chase in the hall with another kid. Wyatt tripped and fell/ran right into the cement pillar in the hall. He split his right calf open from just below the knee down about 8 inches. There was a lot of blood and he was crying, so the school called 911 first and then me. When I got to the school, there was the ambulance, the big red fire truck, the brush truck and 1 sheriffs car. Inside the school in the small outer office of the Vice Principal, lies Wyatt surrounded by 8 men all talking to him and trying to reach him/touch him. I think that freaked him out more then anything else. That was a lot of men in a small space. They had the air splint on him and were trying to get an iv in him when Wyatt freaked out. So, no iv at the scene. Out in the hall, the deputy had the hallway blocked off so the kids wouldn't all try to see. But, you know 12 year olds, they all tried to see anyway. The men put Wyatt on the stretcher and off to the ambulance they went. I followed in my car to the hospital. It turned out that the bone was not broken, only bruised. The er doc cleaned up the wound and put in 12 stitches. Wyatt and I were home by 3:15 pm. Not bad. He doesn't want to go to school today to check out, but I think I will take him anyway, just to say goodbye and to show that he is ok.
Tomorrow is court and then the kids move out. I got a call in the hospital room saying there is a 17 year old boy that needs a home for a year. We are thinking about taking him. I will let you all know.

No comments:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, strawberries in the other, body throughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Woo Hoo - What a ride!